The Implied Warranty of Habitability & Duty to Repair
Landlords and owners have a legal duty to provide tenants with safe, sanitary housing. This includes but is not limited to an obligation to provide:
- Effective waterproofing and weather protection of roof and exterior walls, including unbroken windows and door
- Plumbing or gas facilities that conformed to applicable law in effect at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.
- a water supply that produces hot and cold running water, connected to a sewage disposal system
- Heating facilities maintained in good working order
- Electrical lighting and wiring maintained in good working order
- Clean Building/grounds, free of trash, rodents and vermin
- Adequate trash receptacles kept in clean condition
- Floors/stairs and railings maintained in good repair
- Locking mail receptacle for each unit
A landlord cannot hold a tenant responsible for repairing and maintaining any of the above.